Older School

Older School
Older School

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Winter's Illusion

When the day has finally ended,
and all is quiet and serene,
I pause to gaze intently
upon the setting sun of another winter's day.















Like flakes of snow caught in a gust of wind, 
the flurry of activity finally draws to an end.
In the pristine whiteness of a recent snowfall,
there are only shadows of a wintry gray.


As I peer out through my frosted window,
nightfall blankets the land.
I sit so warm and toasty by my fire,
awestruck by the visions I do see.



The moon is mirrored upon the crystals of ice,
and a quiet hush is heard in the trees.
What a sight to behold, this glorious event,
sparkling white diamonds litter the land. 


The hours pass into the bitter cold of night.
The wind beckons and wails an eerie tune.
An intense shudder, an unwanted invitation,
I search for warmth in those last burning embers.



With quiet determination, I roust myself to bed,
mumbled curses at winter's indifference to my plight.
My teeth chatter as I quicken my steps
I leap, hiding from this nightmare called Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm an aspiring poet who writes when the mood strikes. I appreciate constructive criticism and feedback.